Tuesday 28 January 2014

Music: You Me At Six - Cavalier Youth

Hi guys,

So today I've got a little album review. As a disclaimer, I would like to point out that other than Year 6 guitar lessons and some singing I have very little knowledge when it comes to music, however it is something that I care about very much.

Yesterday I had a trip into town to pick up You Me At Six's fourth album 'Cavalier Youth' (this trip also resulted in my bank account screaming at me, these are the problems you face when you're a shopaholic). Anyway, I had been looking forward to their album since they released 'Sinners Never Sleep'. You Me At Six will always be special to me, as the first band I ever went to see live when I was 16 (on mother's day, she was very pleased I abandoned her...oops).

'Cavalier Youth' is everything I love in an album. The name of the album comes from a lyric within their 9th track 'Love Me Like You Used To'. One of their more  heavier songs on the album.

This time the guys are much more optimistic with their lyrics and the overall sound. There are songs such as 'Too Young To Feel This Old', 'Forgive and Forget' and 'Cold Night' that too me are perfect songs to blast out when you're driving around with your friends especially on a summer evening, they give me a California vibe which is no surprise as they recorded the album in LA.

However, You Me At Six also have songs that you'd expect from them, which are a little heavier and darker such as 'Fresh Start Fever', 'Room To Breathe', and 'Win Some and Lose Some'. They're a little more grittier and upon first listen there was a lot of jumping around my living room and head banging going on (literally, I banged my head on our light).

Finally, you have the anthem type songs such as their first single from the album 'Lived A Lie' and then in other songs like, 'Hope For the Best' and 'Carpe Diem'. They're the songs that I am looking forward to them playing live.

The album is perfect in my opinion, the sound is incredible and fresh from them. It's different enough that it makes you think 'Wow, I wasn't expecting this', but it's a definite You Me At Six album which shows maturity and growth as a band. Personally, I don't think the band has ever sounded as good. As a a huge fan of You Me At Six anyway, the album definitely didn't disappoint and my friends have all said the same. The lady who served me with the album also said "We've been playing this all day, it's really good." I would definitely recommend the album. Personally, my favourite songs are 'Carpe Diem' and 'Cold Night'.

I also bought the version of the album which included the DVD of the making of the album. It was nice to see the guys talk about what they experienced and how they created the album they have. It's a perfect film for old fans to see why they've changed their sound a little and you simply get that little extra information. However, it's also a nice introduction for new fans of You Me At Six to learn more about them as a band. Here's their video for their single 'Fresh Start Fever'.



Have you listened to the album? What are you're favourite songs?
Follow me on Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment