Tuesday 11 February 2014

MUSIC: Melanie Martinez - Dollhouse

As a huge music fan, I'm constantly looking for new artists that intrigue me and that are a little bit different from the everyday charts. Call me an Indie Kid all you want, I simply cannot help it. I discovered Melanie Martinez when she was on the US Voice (Season 3) and couldn't help but fall in love with her style, not only musically but her fashion too.


Skip to just over a year later and she's finally released her first single, 'Dollhouse'. It's quirky and cool, everything that I'd expect from Melanie. However, the song was a complete surprise to me, I wasn't anticipating her to sound like this and I mean that in the most positive way.

The song portrays a family keeping up appearances to the outside world but behind closed doors their lives are far from perfect. A family which prefers to bottle up their problems rather than talk about them to each other. Its a completely honest account of how a family breaking down. The dollhouse being a metaphor.

I also enjoy the unnerving sound to the song with the chiming of clocks and her haunting voice, it intrigued me. The beat also gives me the image of a puppeteer playing with dolls (does that make sense? In my head it does).  Despite the song being completely different to anything I've heard before, the song is incredibly catchy and addictive. I've listened to it non-stop for the last two days. I cannot wait to hear more from this girl, such an amazing talent.

The music video is also stunning which I wouldn't expect anything else from this girl. Check out the music video below.



Have you listened to the song? What do you think?
Follow me on Bloglovin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment