Thursday 13 February 2014

MUSIC: Nina Nesbitt Peroxide

Two music reviews in one week, you lucky people. I've been looking forward to the release of Nina Nesbitt's album, Peroxide, for awhile now, just ask my friends I've been driving them crazy and my Twitter has simply been about Nina's release.
On Nina's Vevo page you can now preview the entire album and all I can say is 'Peroxide' is perfect. I first discovered the Scottish Singer when I kept seeing 'Stay Out' popping up on Twitter and YouTube. Usually I don't bother looking at what it's about but this time I did. Honestly, I'm ecstatic that I did because she's turned out to be one of my favourite singer/songwriters.

It's difficult to place Nina's sound into a genre and maybe that's because she expresses so much of her own personality and character which is definitely evident in 'Mr. C' with tongue in cheek lyrics such as 'I've come to the conclusion you're quite fit, but I'm under no illusion that you're a dick'.There is something for everyone as Nina bears her heart with anecdotes of what she has faced within her life and a mix of pop, rock and folk.

For me, a love song is only brilliant when it gives you goosebumps, and all of her ballads did exactly that. In songs such as 'Align', 'The Hardest Part' and the brand new version of 'Hold You' featuring Kodaline. On each of these tracks it is clear that Nina is bearing her heart and soul, and whilst the songs are personal to herself they are easily to relate to (in particular, 'Two Worlds Away', I have definitely gotten drunk and cried over a boy, something I don't recommend girlies) as each of us  have fallen in love and been hurt in one way or another.

As well as the slow songs there are plenty of uptempo songs on the album with a more positive outlook on life and love with 'He's the One I'm Bringing Back' and 'We'll be Back For More' which demonstrate her more folky roots which I, personally, love. Furthermore, she shows her edgier side with rockier songs which show her pissed off with guys within, '18 Candles', 'Mr. C' and 'Tough Luck'. You will definitely find yourself dancing around your bedroom with your hairbrush to 'Peroxide' (and maybe getting yelled at by your parents, but it's completely worth it, right?).

Her leading singles from the album 'Stay Out' and 'Selfies' show harmless fun. 'Stay Out' perfect for reminiscing on those amazing nights you've spent with your friends and also puts you in the mood to go and act crazy for another evening with your closest friends. 'Selfies' descibes exactly why we all post selfies on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, to make it look like we're happier and that our lives are perfect than what they may really be. We all posts more selfies when we're annoyed with someone to show them what they're missing out on and that's exactly what Nina captures within the lyrics and her music video.

Preview the album here and watch her music video for 'Selfies' below.


'Peroxide' is available Monday 17th February. Are you excited for the release? What's your favourite song?
Follow me on Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment