Monday 16 June 2014

MUSIC: Ella Henderson - Ghost

When Ella Henderson appeared on The X Factor  (UK) a couple of years ago, it was obvious that she had an amazing voice, however, the style of music that she often performed wasn't really for me. I don't listen to a lot of powerhouse singers and tend to chose lyrics over the power of a singer (does that make sense?) Anyway, I was curious as to what she would release as her debut single as I'd read a few interviews that she had done and she had come across as really nice and the magazines seemed genuinely excited.
I'd heard 'Ghost' while back when I saw her music video for the song and I was literally hooked on the song from the minute I heard it. It's incredibly catchy and when taking a little look as to who wrote and produced the song it's no surprise that this was bound to be a hit. The song was co-written by Ella Henderson with Ryan Tedder and Noel Zancanella. I am a massive fan of Ryan Tedder and think he's completely underrated and so when I saw that he helped write this song I wasn't surprised by how much I love the song.

It's a dark and broody song about losing someone. Ella's voice sounds absolutely incredible, I love how it starts very slow with a strong low voice and then turns into a faster pace which reminds me a little bit of blues meets a very current pop sound. The sound of the song sort of reminds a little of Paloma Faith meets Adele. Despite the lyrics describing someone who is suffering and is in a lot of emotional pain, the music to me is very upbeat and so contradicts the lyrics. For me it shows someone who's strong enough to walk away from a relationship that isn't working.

This is a great debut for Ella Henderson. Despite being eliminated from the X Factor early into the live shows, she's come back and absolutely nailed it. Clearly, she didn't let that affect her or knock her confidence because, she went straight to no. 1 in the UK charts. In my opinion, this is one of the best debuts from an previous X Factor contestant. I'm really looking forward to seeing more from this girl because she clearly has an amazing voice and it sounds like she's found her own style of music.

Check out Ella Henderson's Music Video for 'Ghost' below:
Are you a fan of Ella's?
Follow me on Bloglovin' for all my updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment