Monday 2 June 2014

MUSIC: Phillip Phillips - Behind the Light

I'm a fairly new fan of Phillip Phillips, but when I started working my second job in September I kept hearing this one song, and gradually (as I heard it most days) I began to sing along with it and so I had to find out who it was. The song was Phillip Phillips 'Home', and I've been listening to his first album 'The World From the Side of the Moon' for about two months now.
Last week, I discovered that Phillip Phillips had a new album out called 'Behind the Light' and so I obviously checked it out and other than listening to Hunter Hayes' 'Storyline' album (review coming soon, hopefully) this is all I've been listening to. I described the album on twitter as 'bloody brilliant' and for me it is (I would also like to mention he favourited this tweet which made me incredibly happy, I did fan girl a little, oh well). It's the perfect summer album with a cross of folk/pop/rock. Phillip Phillips also has the incredibly unique sound to his voice which I love.

It starts with 'Searchlight' which I've been listening to non-stop, I think it's one of my favourite songs on the album. I find the song completely beautiful about trying to find the person you love who you let get away, something that I'm relating to an awful lot at the moment. For me, it portrays the story of not realising how great the person is in front of you until its too late and they've already gone. I  love the music of the song too, it's a little Mumford and Sons to me but with a bit of a pop twist.

For me, a lot of the album sounds like festival music to me, I know that there are festivals for each genre of music but this album is just full of summer songs which I associate with music festivals and just having a great time. 'Raging Fire' is definitely one of those festival/summer songs. It's optimistic and sounds like a celebration. The lyric, 'won't you turn my soul into a raging fire' for me means just letting go and having fun, ignoring all the rules and just giving into some passion. 'Fool For You' is another one of those songs that remind me of summer, it's got a Mumford and Sons meets Scouting for Girls sound to it, the chorus also reminds me a little of Lenka's 'The Show'.

Other optimistic and fun songs include 'Unpack Your Heart' and the final track 'Midnight Sun'. Both of these tracks I absolutely adore. They just put me in such a good mood and feel much better about things. 'Unpack Your Heart' for me is just giving in to someone and letting them know everything about you, it's that moment of falling in love. Also, I like how in 'Midnight Sun' violins are added in places which makes it that little bit more romantic and reminds me of a sunset when the day and the fun is possibly coming to an end. 'Midnight Sun' is definitely a BBQ and summer anthem for me, just wanting to spend as much time as possible with my friends, I think it's great for those of you who are just leaving school.

As well as having the fun, upbeat songs on the album which are my personal favourite, Phillips also incorporates soul/blues/jazz vibes on tracks like; 'Trigger', 'Alive Again', 'Thicket' and 'Face'. I feel like these songs bring a slightly more mysterious vibe to the album and to Phillips. This was a nice touch, in my opinion as it makes everything sound a little different and stand out a little. These songs, in particular 'Thicket' makes the emotion seem more genuine and adds an edge to the album. I like how in 'Thicket' also the music corresponds with the lyrics making the song sound almost dream like and relaxing.

'Lead On' is another personal favourite of mine. I just think that it's a song that everyone can relate to. Everyone has been lead on by someone and I personally love the lyrics 'hanging on to every word' because I think you do that when you're in love with someone. 'Lead On' is just a song that makes you think that keep chasing after that person may be worth it and who knows, hey?

Finally, the last song I really want to discuss is 'Open Your Eyes'. This is a close top favourite along with 'Searchlight'. Its a little slower and gorgeous, it's romantic and describes someone wanting the other person to just let go and give in to how they really feel. I don't really know what to say about this song other than it's perfect and simple. His music is so authentic and real which I think works well for him. He's not using gimmicks or synthesized sounds to make him sound different to fit into the charts. I also like that he's optimistic and positive in his music.

Phillip Phillips has really impressed me with this album. He's got the balance of fun songs with grittier and more mysterious songs without doing the normal ballads. I think he's shown a lot of growth in this album. The song writing is brilliant as is the music. A lot of the songs have a little Mumford and Sons vibe to them but that's probably due to the Folk/Rock/Pop sound that the album has. But Phillip Phillips has such a unique voice that it stands out from anything else I've heard recently. I can see me listening to this album throughout of the entire summer non-stop and thoroughly enjoying every moment of it.

Check Out Phillip Phillips 'Raging Fire' below:
Did you like what you heard? Be sure to buy his album, 'Behind the Light' on iTunes.
Follow me on Bloglovin' for all my updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment