Tuesday 25 November 2014

MUSIC: Delaney Gibson - Stars

The other night I was contacted asking if I wanted to write a post about Delaney Gibson. In all fairness, I  hadn't really heard of her before, but when an opportunity rises to discover new music, I have a very open mind. I was sent some information about her work, but I always like to do my own research and so this post is all my own thoughts and opinions on Delaney Gibson's latest single 'Stars'.
Delaney Gibson has a very unique quality to her voice, similar to that of artists such as Florence and the Machine and one of my favourite singers, Paloma Faith. It sounds very theatrical which I actually quite like in this song, as it portrays very vivid images. You also cannot deny the fact that Delaney Gibson sounds absolutely amazing on the track. She has that very powerful and strong voice that is very easy to identify as she sounds like no one else. I also like the message behind the song. It's upbeat and positive about chasing your dream and there's a lot of lyrics that stand out to me. 'You've got the stuff that stars are made of, yeah you've got the stuff, you're enough," is a line from the chorus and I think that's one thing that we forget about. If there's one lyric that helps you accept who you are and accept other people it's this. The song is also encouraging to chase your own dreams.

This is a song that will stick with you and not in that annoying catchy way, but it's so honest and powerful that I think it's going to be hard to forget about. I imagine this song to really blow  you away when you see it in concert too. It's anthem like in a theatrical way which is different to what we usually hear on the radio. To accompany the song, a campaign was also launched to do something bold and vulnerable on your social media sites and use the #STARSCAMPAIGN. I think this is a really good idea, so if you haven't already, why don't you join the campaign yourself?
I've also listened to other tracks from her album 'Tall Like the Tree'. My favourite tracks were 'Be', 'Give Up the Ghost' which I thought had a Caro Emerald feel to it. I also really liked 'I Deserve Love' a ballad with a lot of emotion and theatrics once again. Her songs have very strong characters and stories behind them which is very different to what I'm used to, but I really like it. I feel if you're into musicals you'd really love Delaney Gibson. She has that indie folk vibe to her sound on songs too, which is personally my favourite genre of music. I'd definitely recommend checking Delaney Gibson out. She's very different to any other artists that I've listened to before but it's a breath of fresh air and her voice is astonishing.

Check out Delaney Gibson's music video for 'Stars' below:

Are you already a fan of Delaney Gibson? Why not check her out on SoundCloud?


No comments:

Post a Comment