Monday 3 November 2014

MUSIC: Taylor Swift - 1989

Honestly, I have literally spent the entire day listening to Taylor Swift's '1989' on repeat. There's not many albums where I just sit and listen to the album back-to-back for hours on end but this album is incredibly addictive. Taylor Swift is always ahead of the game, in my opinion. She made Country Music cool, and after owning that she switched it up to pop and experimented a little with an indie style with 'Red'. Her latest release, '1989' shows her exploring sounds of the 80's and making it cool again.
The opening track, 'Welcome to New York' reminds me of 'The Carrie Diaries' every time I listen to it, which is a good thing suggesting the type of style she has aimed for. I wasn't too fussed on the song when I first heard it but now it's one of my favourites. I dare you to sit still whilst listening to the track, it's near enough impossible. She also teamed up with Ryan Tedder on the track so it's no wonder that the song has grown on me.

The album is full of dance beats, but not like the techno and dub-step sounds that we've heard in recent years, it's for me, that classic pop sound. Despite it being the perfect soundtrack for getting ready for a night out when you listen to the lyrics it's actually really amazing and relatable too. There's no doubt that Taylor is one heck of a good story teller with her lyrics. With this album she's not only switched up the genre of music that she's tackled, for me her lyrics show growth. No longer does she seem to have that naive girl sound to her. She seems to have grown up and whilst the songs are fun and innocent they no longer seem too cheesy, however they hold on to that optimistic approach.

'Style' is quite possibly my favourite dance track on the album, I just love 'you've got that James Dean daydream look in your eye' lyric, I've been singing it all day. 'All You Had to do was Stay' is another favourite. I don't normally like it when artists use that synthesised sound which she's used for 'stay' but I think it works incredibly well with this song. 'I Wish You Would' its a very optimistic song, in my opinion, almost like a daydream. It's like when you've been sat thinking about that person who you once had something with and just hoping they'll come back. I also love the lyrics again of 'you always knew how to push my buttons'. That's what I like about Taylor Swift's music, no matter what song you listen to you always pick up on a particular lyric which  you love or relate to.

If you were to ask me what my favourite track on the entire album is, normally it would be a hard question for me to answer. But for me, the stand out track is 'Wildest Dreams'. It's sounds incredibly romantic and haunting, it's literally like a dream. It also sounds more grown up. We see a lower side of Swift's voice at the beginning which I love on the song. I hope that this is released as a single because I genuinely think it would fly. If it does, just reflect back to this post where I called it.

'This Love' is another slower track. It gives me chills listening to it. Again it shows growth and maturity in Taylor. It's the first album of hers where I haven't been trying to guess who each song is about and I don't know if it's because she's kept her private life, private. But I've found I've enjoyed the album a lot more. I haven't wanted to know who she's writing about and I know a lot of other articles are trying to guess, but my question is, who cares? Every love song written is about someone but we don't question who other artists are writing about. So can't we get over this?

Obviously you can't write a review about her album without talking about 'Shake It Off' it was definitely the right song to promote the album. It shows just how 'pop' the album is and also has that 80's beat and edge to it. I would definitely recommend this album regardless of what you're usual taste in music is. It doesn't really sound anything else out there currently and you will no doubt not be able to turn the album off.

Check out the music video for Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' below:
What's your favourite track from the album?


No comments:

Post a Comment