Sunday 21 December 2014

MUSIC: Artist Vs. Poet - Medicine

So, one of my favourite bands (Artist Vs. Poet) are back with a new album, 'Medicine' and when I found out I was so excited, I think my parents thought I had gone slightly crazy. They are one of those bands that no matter what they release I always enjoy what they produce. They've kept changing up their style and experimenting with their music with their recent releases which has kept the sound of the music fresh.

Speaking of, 'Fresh' is the opening track on their latest album. Its one of those songs that you will be singing constantly after the first listen. It's slightly edgier than recent releases and they've gone back to their punk/rock vibe which I really like. However, their lyrics are more mature. The song just makes me want to jump around the room in attempt to dance, its fun, flirty and sexy which is different for them. 
'Medicine' follows the same sort of vibe as 'Fresh' with that edgier vibe. It kind of reminds me of The Bigger Light's 'Battle Hymn' album which I used to be obsessed with. Joe Kirkland has a signature sound to his voice though that really stands out, he's very versatile which goes a long way and I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that his voice can't do well. I'm always blown away with his vocals. This is probably the heaviest song they've released for a while, but I really love it. 

'Break Away' they've released two versions of the song on the album, the full studio version and a piano version. Both are incredibly beautiful but the piano version is my favourite track on the entire album and had me on the verge of tears. The lyrics are gorgeous, about a love that they want back. It's the song that I think that will relate with a lot of people and has a lot of potential. 'When you finally rest your head tonight, are you wishing I was by your side' is a lyric that I just love, you can't help but think about your relationships when you hear this song. 

Next up is 'Sincerely Me' and 'Kids Again' which I already wrote a post on (here) in short, I really love these two tracks, their slightly more acoustic and quirkier. Losing that rock edgy and sounding a little more folk. I love how Artist Vs. Poet can show different sides of what their capable of as a band and the album still sound perfect and not a collection of songs that don't fit together  in anyway. Their sound changes but they're are elements in the music that keeps the album together.

'Leavin' is another favourite of mine. Again, it's a little slower and more acoustic sounding. I like how it builds up into a faster pace, talking about a girl leaving in the middle of the night. It's like a campfire song which I really love the sound of those songs. For me, they sound much more authentic and then they can be played up or down depending on the type of gig that the band is doing. Though they mix up their sound, they're always completely unique and make music that tell stories that are so beautifully honest which is what I really love about the band. They don't attempt to make music that sound like chart music, but stick to what they like and what they want to achieve. They do their own thing which what works for them, the character that they have in the music opposed to having songs written for them that they're not really interested in.

'Somewhere Else' I think I annoyed my parents by singing this song over and over again last night but it got them singing it too, so my plan was executed perfectly in my opinion. It's quite a modern song if that makes sense, in the way that it talks about people playing games and not tolerating it anymore. It has a more of a R&B sound to it in my opinion, but more old school, with a focus on the beat. Does anyone else think of Beyonce too when he sings 'if you put all my shit in a box to the left'? Just me?

'Everything Must Go' demonstrates that softer side of Arist Vs. Poet, depicting a break up and cutting all ties to that person. It's the perfect break up song in the fact that it's not bitter towards a person but just describes how a break up should be.

'Unbreakable' starts with talking that's kind of creepy, it reminds  me a little of a fair ground voice-over. It's got that rock edge to it with a little soul/R&B especially when it comes to the chorus. This is probably one of the tracks that shows off how versatile Kirkland's voice is, as it has really powerful sections, but also demonstrates the rock and R&B side of his voice too. The track has a lot more production to it than I am used to for the band, but it builds to add atmosphere to the song which works incredibly well, and gives an almost ghostly air to it.

Finally, 'Awake' is the perfect way to finish the album. I feel like the entire album is like a love letter to winning a person back and though they may have had other relationships that nothing else can compare to what they and that original person had. Maybe I'm wrong, but music is open to interpretation.

For me, this is the best album that Artist Vs. Poet have released to date. They keep getting better and experimenting as well as growing as a band, which always makes me excited to see what else they have planned for the future. This album blew me away, and they deserve a lot more credit and popularity.

Check out their album on Artist Vs. Poet's Sound Cloud page.

What do you guys think of Artist Vs, Poet's latest release? Leave a comment below with your favourite track.

1 comment:

  1. You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. White Noise for Babies

    ReplyDelete