Tuesday 16 June 2015

BOOKS: Miranda Dickinson - Fairytale of New York

After reading 'I'll Take New York' by Miranda Dickinson over Christmas I decided to purchase the prequel 'Fairytale of New York' and whilst the main protagonists are not the same, they are part of the same family. The books are connected but you can read them separate from each other and still love them just as much I found.
'Fairytale of New York' follows the character of Rosie Duncan (also featured as a close friend in 'I'll Take New York'), a business owner of a florist, we watch as she struggles to deal with the secrets from her past. This story made me want to become a florist. I liked how Miranda Dickinson made even the smallest roles of characters so important and valuable. Even the characters that we are meant to dislike I couldn't help but love them. Ed and Nate are both characters that I wish featured in my own life, and in some cases you can't help but recognise  your own friends in these characters that, for me, is one of my favourite things about novels. Stories that take you away from your own life and allow you to escape but which feel incredibly realistic that you could almost live in those roles.

I also love how romantic Miranda Dickinson portrays New York. Both of her books has only made my dream of going to New York more prominent. Despite the city seeming so big,  I like how the author has made it very clear that everyone has a different, unique story despite all being linked by particular people. The novel also makes it clear how important friendship is, and how we rely on those people in the times of need. How friends can help you get through the cringiest of moments and the most difficult experiences in  your life.

This book made me laugh, cry and say 'my god, I am just like this character'. I can't possibly begin to express how much I enjoyed 'Fairytale of New York', it was perfectly magical and definitely worth picking up. No doubt you will not be able to put it down.

What have you been reading recently?


No comments:

Post a Comment