Sunday 23 March 2014

MUSIC: American Authors - Oh, What A Life

American Authors, Oh What A Life, what can I say about this album? Well, I made a bold statement on Twitter stating it as the best album I've heard in a long time. I still agree with this statement despite loving You Me At Six - Cavalier Youth and Nina Nesbitt's - Peroxide. There is something special about this album and it's hard to describe, but when you listen to it I'm sure you will understand.
The album is very positive and I can guarantee that you will be walking down the street, or in the car listening to the album (wherever else you listen to your music) and you will be smiling like an idiot (please, tell me its not just me that does this?) The opening track 'Believer' is one of my favourites on the entire album. The chorus lyrics, 'I'm just a believer things will get better' stick out to me. I've quite a pessimist and these lyrics make me change the way I'm thinking. As soon as I get a negative thought, I now think well, things will pick up. It's a very fun sounding song with a lot of drum beats, hand claps.

'Think About It' is the second track on the album, again it follows the same upbeat and positive message for example, 'don't over think about it', something that I definitely need to learn to live by. It's hard to put these guys in a genre in my opinion. Something about them reminds me of Imagine Dragons and sometimes they remind me a little of Mumford and Sons. They're sort of Indie/Alternative/Rock with maybe a little folk in them. On their official website, they even state: "We accept struggle and are passionate about the lives we lead. We create the music that comes naturally to us and we're not afraid of change" - which may be why  they sound so different to anything I've personally heard before.

The third track on the album is 'Best Day Of My Life' I had heard this song before listening to the album but have no idea where from, and I had know idea that it was these guys who sung this song. However, I love this song. It's another favourite of mine. It just makes me happy and feel good and I love the 'oooh-oohh' parts (listen to the song and you'll know what I mean). It's one of the ultimate pick me up songs, in my opinion.

Now, this is probably my favourite song on the album, 'Luck' it's simply everything I wish I could say and live by. It makes me want to just leave all my problems behind and chase my dream without thinking about anything else. My favourite lyric from the entire album features in this song which is, 'I am my own man, I make my own luck', mostly because I feel like this is how I live. I've worked for everything and so I relate highly to this song, especially because a lot of the time I just want to pack up my things and go and live in another city.

'Trouble' it starts slow for the first verse but the chorus is upbeat again. It's sweet and reminds me of how your first love is suppose to be. All the verses are a lot slower on this track and I think the album needed it, but it's still absolutely brilliant. Most of the songs remind me of singing around a campfire and this is definitely one of them, which is why I get the folksy vibe from them sometimes.

'Hit It' is definitely a more alternative/indie/rock sounding song. It's the song that I will be dancing around to a lot and thinking I can dance when I look like a complete idiot, but who cares? 'Home' is a more nostalgic song as you can probably imagine. It's all about trying to returning home and doing anything possible to return home to your loved ones. It's  one of the slower songs but it's still upbeat with a lot of guitars and drums (and don't forget the hand claps).

'Love' I keep saying that this one is one of my favourites but honestly, the album is that good and 'Love' really is. It just makes me smile and about and looking back at the things that you've done, its another nostalgic song. Having just left school, I relate to it. I mean, I never hated school but I was happy to leave at the time but when you leave you think back to the past and what you've been through. This song makes me think of all the fun times I've had with my friends and family which is why I love it so much.

'Heart of Stone' is one of the more rock-y songs, it's a more of a take the mick out of someone song and getting back at them. 'Ghost' this is one of the songs that sticks out to me the most. It's another optimistic song, it's a song what I'd listen to before going out because it's just fun and it also makes me want to go on a car journey. The final song on the album is 'Oh, What a Life' it starts slow but it builds into an anthem type song. It's just about accepting life for what it is, in my opinion. I'd love to see this song live.

I will go as far as saying that I will probably listening to this through the entire of spring and summer. It makes me want to go to parties, go on car journeys and want to go camping (which I've never done before) just so I can sing these songs around a campfire. I would recommend this album to anyone because it's completely different to anything I've heard before. It's just perfect to me. You can listen to the entire album on the American Authors Vevo Page. Check out their music video for 'Best Day Of My Life' below:


What do you guys think? Do you have any recommendations for me?
Follow me on Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment