Monday 3 March 2014

MUSIC: Pharrell Williams - Girl

I don't usually listen to R&B or Dance music, I'm the sort of girl who loves indie music, artists that people have never heard of, country and rock. Basically, I've always been a snob when it's come to R&B and Dance music, apart from a few songs here and there. But in 2013 I found Pharrell Williams collaborations with Daft Punk and Robin Thicke actually really good. They may not be heavily R&B songs and are more Dance, but Pharrell Williams is typically known as a Hip Hop/R&B artist. However, when I found out that he was releasing an album, I was really looking forward to it, so here's my verdict.
I honestly didn't really know what to expect from GIRL before listening to it, as apart from his collaborations in the last year, I didn't really know much about Pharrell Williams as an artist. All I knew was, I was either going to love or hate the album. It's fair to say that I love the album. It's not what I was expecting, it's very old school, in my opinion. Instead of hearing a lot of beats that you could create on your computer (though they do still appear) the album has more of a gentle reggae sound and is more classic. It's the type of album that I can see working really well live, similar to how Bruno Mars always performs, at least that's my expectation. 

Featuring on the album: Justin Timberlake for second track 'Brand New' which makes sense of the 70's feel of the album, I mean Suit & Tie was very similar in that way. Also, Miley Cyrus also appears on 'Come and Get it Babe' as well as Alicia Keys on 'Know Who You Are' which nobody can deny that woman can sing the crap out of a song. 

There is some serious funk in this album and Pharrell Williams' smooth voice and falsetto is very impressive on the album. My favourite tracks, obviously, 'Happy', 'Marilyn Monroe', 'Come and Get It Babe', 'Gust of Wind' and 'It Girl' - I may as well have just mentioned the whole album (aha). I love an album that will make me want to get up and dance every once in a while and this will definitely be the album I turn to for that at the moment. Every song on the album will make you want to pull out all your best moves (or the dance moves you think are cool but you look like an idiot when you catch yourself in the mirror - is that just me?). My verdict, is that the album doesn't disappoint for the success that Pharrell had in 2013. 

For the simple reason that it's one of my favourite songs at the moment, check out 'Happy' below.

Have you heard Pharrell's album? What's your favourite track? 
Follow my on Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment