Wednesday 19 March 2014

MUSIC: We Are The In Crowd - Weird Kids

This post is long overdue. I've been meaning to write a review on We Are The In Crowd's - Weird Kids when it was released mid February. But to be honest, life caught up with me and working two jobs whilst trying to have a social life and run a blog became a little too much recently. Also, I did think that I had already written a post about the album, as I started it and then forgot to finish and publish (oops, my bad).
Anyway, I still wanted to do a review because I love the band and I think, other than Paramore, a lot of female lead rock/pop/punk bands get forgotten about. So, I wanted to shine a light on We Are The In Crowd's latest album. I've been a fan ever since I heard Both Sides of the Story from their Guaranteed to Disagree EP in October 2010. I saw their music video when my brother had some rock music channel on and thought it was really cool.

Since then, my love for the band has grown and the latest album shows a development in the band. It's slightly heavier, but they've kept their light-hearted poking fun out of relationships, which I love about the band. There's plenty of attitude and if you're going through a breakup, or you're annoyed with someone in your life, listen to this album and sing along (or scream along in my case) and you will feel 100x better. So below, are a few of my favourite tracks from the album, but honestly I love pretty much every song on there.

Attention is one of my favourite songs on the album. It's all about finding yourself and doing the things that make you happy basically, or at  least that's what I got from the song. Who doesn't need a little encouragement every now and again to do what you love and be yourself? I love the way that Taylor's and Jordan's voice blend so perfectly.

The Best Thing (That Never Happened) this is the song that you need to listen to if you have fallen out with your boyfriend, or you've just split up with someone. It's full of attitude and punch, and it will remind you that there are better things in life to worry about. My favourite lyrics are 'So toxic, you ain't nothing but a prick' and 'life's too short, I can't fake it anymore'. Mostly because I wish I could say this to a lot of people at the moment. It will seriously pick you up if you're feeling down.

Long Live the Kids I don't know what it is about the song that I love so much. Maybe it's the anthem sound to it, which every good rock/punk album needs, in my opinion. Maybe it's the fact that if I was to see them live this is the song that I would want to hear the most just because it's a song that would get the crowd going. Maybe it's all the above. But the song has the perfect mix of softness to it at the start. I was sure that this was going to be the slow/heartbreak song when it began but then it builds into this big crescendo which gives it so much more edge. To me this song is perfect about the fight.

The song I relate to the most off of the album is Remember to Forget You and not because "all  my exes are from Texas". When you've just split up with someone, or you realise that the person that you've been crushing on forever will never pick you and you're in that stage of moving on. Well, I'm like that at the moment and no matter where you go or what you do that person is always on your mind. I tell myself everyday not to think about that person so this song is my favourite at the moment (slightly pathetic, I know).

So they are my favourite 4 tracks off the album, but honestly, the album is actually really good, in my opinion. Especially, if you're missing a female fronted rock/punk band, these will definitely fill that void. There is a little swearing on the album, but not too much compared to some rock albums, there's nothing too shocking. You can listen to the full album on Hopeless Records YouTube Channel. Check out the music video below for The Best Thing (That Never Happened) below.
Have  you listened to the album yet? What's your favourite track?
Follow me on Bloglovin' there's more reviews coming this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment