Saturday 29 March 2014

MUSIC: Foster The People - Supermodel

I am a huuuuuge fan of Foster The People and it physically hurts me to think I haven't seen them live yet. Anyway, I've been looking forward to 'Supermodel' since I listened to 'Torches'. It's felt like I've been waiting absolutely ages for them to release Supermodel and I was actually worried they wouldn't release a second album. But they have (*sighs in relief*). My expectations were pretty high for them, as you can imagine as they are one of my favourite bands and they've definitely not disappointed me.
Are You What You Want To Be I love this track so much, it's really fun and I love the intro/chorus to this song. It's cool and quirky, in my opinion and I woke up the other morning singing this. It transports me completely out of my everyday tasks, which I love. I also love that it makes me think more about myself and makes me ask 'are you what you want to be'. Another thing I love about this song is Mark Foster's tone. It's gorgeous, in my opinion, and one of the reasons they stand out for me is that Mark Foster's voice is so unique.

Ask Yourself this is a great continuation for the album. I love that it starts off sounding more acoustic to what we're used to from Foster The People and I'm a sucker for a song with hand claps and finger clicking, it just seems more personal to me. This song is my favourite off the album as it's so easy to relate to and taking a look at yourself and your own life goals. "Your confidence is fading from your youth", this hits me because thinking about being a kid you always want to be something huge, like a popstar or a doctor and as you get older you tend to lose these ambitions (or at least in my case I have). I also love the lyric, "ambition's not a crime" which I think we sometimes forget when we are busy getting on with our day-to-day life.Foster The People always have such beautiful lyrics.

Coming Of Age was the first single that they released from the album, and when I first heard it, I didn't quite know what to think of it. I didn't not like it, but I wasn't blown away either. It's grown on me though, and I now really like the song. It makes me think about how far the band has come on from their first album, which is why I also think it was a brilliant choice for their first single from their second album. I feel like we explore more of Mark Foster's vocal abilities which may not have been highlighted in Torches too.

Nevermind is a quirky song. I love the sound of this song, it's very different to anything I've heard from the band before and music in general. It's a very independent sounding song, in my opinion. Moreover, it's the song that has a bigger meaning than just your own personal life. (Does that make sense? It does in my mind)

Pseudologia Fantastica do not ask me to try and pronounce the first word, my English isn't that good. There's more growth from the band in this song. The lyrics are stronger and their entire sound is stronger and different for them, whilst they still hold on to that 'thing' that identifies them as being Foster The People. If there's one thing you can count on is that they'll do something different and this is definitely different. I love how they do electronic music as well and you can tell that a lot of work and effort is taken to create their songs, it's definitely evident in this track, as there is so much going on it but it's not too much.

The Angelic Welcome of Mr. Jones there isn't a lot to say about this track, apart from that it sounds angelic and heavenly, it makes a nice break in the album, also.

Best Friend is the party song for me. It's all about having fun and this song cheers me up. It sort of reminds me a little bit of disco music but with a modern spin which makes it cool for 2014. I also like hearing the deeper sound to Foster's voice as it's nothing that we've heard before.

A Beginners Guide to Destroying the Moon starts off sounding very similar to their first album, but then it goes into a more heavier sounding song which reminds me a little of Muse. It sounds almost like Foster is dueting with himself on this track as his falsetto is played up as well as his lower register. It amazes me how they manage to put so many different sounds into their songs and they sound polish and not too much.

Goats in Trees first off, take a minute to appreciate the track name. Have you done so? Good, now moving on. Again, this song starts off with an acoustic sound which I like to hear from them as it's not something you really expect when thinking of this band. I really like this track and it stands out as it's completely different to anything on this album and anything they've done previously. It's the biggest surprise on the album, but I like the haunting/ghostly feel to the track like I felt with Pumped up Kicks.

The Truth similarly to what I've said about other tracks the sound of Foster dueting with himself as he plays with his falsetto and lower register makes the song special. It amazes me how much he can do with his voice as I was only used to and aware of the more haunting sound to his voice. It's another pretty cool track.

The final track Fire Escape is my second favourite track. It's completely acoustic which I really wasn't expecting but from a song like this I wouldn't want the electronic sound I'm used to with this band. It's a sad sounding song and yet quite soothing and haunting again. Like is stated in the first verse, this song gives you feeling of just observing the people around you and watching the world pass you by which maybe why the delicate sound of the song works so well. There is only one word to describe this song and it's beautiful.

There's a lot of things that go off in this album and I'm still not sure how all the sounds work so well together, it's slightly mind blowing to me. But Foster The People have managed to create another album which I completely love and will know doubt be listening to constantly until their next release. Check out their music video for Coming Of Age below:


Have you listened to Supermodel yet? What do you think and what's your favourite track?
Follow me on Bloglovin' for more album reviews and beauty bits.







No comments:

Post a Comment