Tuesday 8 July 2014

MUSIC: Wakey!Wakey!

Today I saw an announcement from Wakey!Wakey! with there UK tour dates and was so pleased to see that Nottingham was on the list (even though I don't live there it's still easy to get buses there and back). I've been a fan of Wakey!Wakey! for a few years now and each time they've played in the UK I've wanted to go but unfortunately for me none of my friends listen to them. I, personally, don't understand why not. They've got a bloody good singer, the songs are amazing, catchy but meaningful and their sound is amazing. They've also got a new album to be released later this month 'Salvation', so be sure to check back and read my review on the album but for now I want to focus on their previous work.

I first heard of Wakey!Wakey! when the lead singer (Michael Grubbs) appeared on the TV Show One Tree Hill as the character of 'Grubbs'. I fell in love with his voice and his songs which were taken from his album Almost Everything I Wish I Said the Last Time I Saw You. This album was one of my favourites in 2010/2011. I had listened to it on repeat all the time, and when I wasn't listening to the album I was always singing the songs. I can remember walking into my local Topshop and freaking out to my mum saying 'they're playing Wakey!Wakey! Oh my God, they're playing Wakey!Wakey!' it wasn't one of my finest moments but I was so proud of them and so excited about the whole thing.

My favourite song of Wakey!Wakey!'s is '1876 - The Brooklyn Theatre Fire'. This is one of my all time favourite songs, it's just incredibly intense and powerful and beautiful. Its been a while since I've listened to the band properly but I still know every word to this song, it's just one of those songs when you listen to it you're left thinking WOW. At least, I was, it just fills me with so many emotions and a whole movie and story is told in such a short amount of time. It's absolutely amazing in my opinion.

Other favourites are 'Square Peg Round Hole' this is what I heard in Topshop, it's got an incredibly fun vibe to it which I love. 'Light Outside' is a more recent favourite, just because I relate to it much more these days, it's a definitely a pick me up song and gave me a different outlook on life and people around me. It also reminds me of the boy that my family told me to stay away from. Finally, 'Take It Like a Man' is another favourite. It's a little different to what you normally hear with violins and it sounds like a chase at the beginning, the music reminds me of something out of a silent movie. Its different and I love the chorus which features a more modern approach.

Michael Grubbs has such an incredibly and unique voice and his songs previously have been so different to what you normally hear now. I'm really looking forward to 'Salvation' in a few weeks and honestly do not what to expect. I really hope that I do get to see them in October too, that would make my day.

Check out Wakey!Wakey!'s music video for 'Light Outside' below:

Also check out this live in the studio performance of '1876 - Brooklyn Theatre Fire' simply amazing


What did you think? If you have any recommendations for me, leave them below.
Follow me on Bloglovin' to receive all my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment