Monday 22 September 2014

BOOKS: Chrissie Manby - A Proper Family Holiday

I read Chrissie Manby's 'A Proper Family Holiday' a few weeks ago now (so I apologise for the delay). My mum picked this up for me one day after she read the blurb and decided it was a 'very me' book. I love a romantic comedy book and they are some of my favourites and this is the first Chissie Manby novel I've read, I was pleasantly surprised by it.
The book follows a family who decide to take a holiday together for their mother's birthday. The family is a very realistic with arguments/little feuds and embarrassing parents. It's the kind of book where you can't help but smile the entire time you're reading it. With each character facing their own problems, whether it's the simple fact of growing up, work controlling your life, feeling under appreciated by your family, or keeping information from your family. I think it's something that all families go through at one time in their life. 

Chelsea and her sister, Ronnie, have been arguing for two years and we learn more about what the two sisters have been going through. Ronnie with her family and Chelsea's glamorous life not being quite so fabulous. I liked how the chapters were from different characters perspectives. I found I really loved Chelsea and Jack. Jack, is such a loveable character, probably my favourite, he made me wish I had a little brother like him. It's a perfect holiday read, but it also targets some more serious and heavier themes which I think made it a really great read. I know it's a little late as I say it's a great holiday read, but if you're missing the sun, pick up this and it'll instantly brighten your day. There is also a second part being released at Christmas which made me very excited when I found this out. So be sure to keep an eye out for that in November. 

What books have you been reading this summer? 


No comments:

Post a Comment