Monday 15 September 2014

MUSIC: Maroon 5 - V

It's no surprise that I love Maroon 5 and I actually really love their new album, 'V'. I know a lot of people are saying that they prefer how they used to be when they released 'Songs About Jane' and yeah, I'll admit that album is fantastic, but 'V' shows them delving into real pop whilst still keeping their own edge and I thoroughly like it.
So my two favourite songs are their two softer songs and more 'Songs About Jane' songs (does that make sense?). I think 'My Heart Is Open' featuring Gwen Stefani is one of a few songs that breaks my heart each time I listen to it. I relate to this song so much which makes it even more powerful and emotional to me. I think it's so beautiful and honest about a relationship that can't be or can't work. Adam Levine and Gwen Stafani compliment each other really well on this track too. I think this song has the potential to be huge especially with The Voice starting up soon. It's romantic and heart breaking and a little haunting.

My second favourite is 'Unkiss Me'. It's another slightly slower track and similar to 'My Heart Is Open' only there's much more production to it. I love the beat to the track it has a more of that R&B/Soul sound to it which is a new approach from Maroon 5. I love the lyrics too, and it's everything that you want to say to someone when you break up. These two songs are very powerful, which I really love, and it makes the album a little more meaningful than most pop albums. I also love Levine's voice on the two tracks, I think it shows off his range really well and shows how much of a good singer he is.

Other tracks that I keep going to 'Sugar'. This is the song that sounds really different for them, it has that old school vibe which I've found has been quite popular within a few artists releases recently, such as Jesse McCartney and Pharell Williams. It cheers me up, and if a song can do that well it's on to a winner for me. I also really 'Feelings' I feel like their showing off their inner sass (is that possible for guys?) It's a little sexier for them but if Adam Levine sung this to me I would not mind that at all - who wrote that? ;)

'Leaving California' kind sounds like a day dream to begin with and I think it sounds really quirky. The song kind of reminds me a little of Fun. especially the chorus, maybe it's because the two front men have similar voices. 'In Your Pocket' is another relatable track, telling the story of a couple having trust issues, which I think a lot of couples go through. I like the melody of this song, especially the chorus. It's a nice beat and has a good pace, and I like how the verses sounds more like the two characters are dancing around each other to avoid the topic, like they are both guilty. 'New Love' a track co-written with my favourite Ryan Tedder it's full of synthesized sounds, but I think it works well. It doesn't over power Levine's vocals and it's incredibly catchy as you would expect.

'Maps' which was their first single from the album also showed a wrecked Levine (see full review here), I think this was a great song to release as their first single as it really demosntrated a lot of the aspects of what the album has to offer. Finally, 'Animals' I really think that this will be BIG. It's so catchy and very current sounding, it's another rather sexier approach for the band portraying Levine as a hunter. I surprisingly really like this track, and as long as it doesn't get overplayed I think it'll work really well for Maroon 5.

Check Out Maroon 5's  lyric video for 'Animals' below:
Have you listened to 'V' yet? What's your favourite tracks?





No comments:

Post a Comment