Sunday 8 February 2015

MUSIC: James Poole - Alive

With Twitter, I find that you're constantly getting bands that you've never heard of following you on there, or you get people tweeting you to check out their music. Most of the time I ignore it. I don't know why because they may be the best band/singer in the world and I'll never know. So recently, when this has happened I've tried to make more of an effort to listen to whoever this new follower is. The other day I was tweeted by James Poole telling me about his new song 'Alive' and I really didn't know what to expect to begin with, assuming he would sing very pop songs. But I was pleasantly surprised.
'Alive' is a slow ballad but there is a lot of power behind it too. James Poole has quite a unique tone to his voice which sounds incredibly sexy (to me) and I really like this. It kind of reminds me a little of Gavin DeGraw just with a little less grit and we all know how I love a little bit of DeGraw. Despite having a strong chest voice, Poole's falsetto is just as impressive and he uses this in all the right places to take the song into other places and make it more beautiful and angelic.  

Using only a piano, the song is incredibly emotional and who doesn't love a sad song? I think this would sound beautiful live especially with a choir to build and create more atmosphere where Poole can't alone. You can hear the hard work that Poole has put into the song even though it sounds completely effortless in the way he sings. This song gives me goosebumps and has an almost haunting effect. It's a beautiful song, for me it's about living your life the way you want and with who you want even if people think you're 'out of your mind'. It's about starting over and moving on. It's definitely a song that gets you thinking about situations which is what music is all about. 

Check out James Poole's 'Alive' below: 
Have you checked out James Poole's music before? What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment