Friday 6 February 2015

MUSIC: Years & Years - King

Every now and again, I love to listen to a little bit of dance music but I like the more indie sound to it. I'm a huge fan of Foster the People and Two Door Cinema Club, so recently when Years & Years were advertised before a YouTube video, I decided to check them out and I stumbled across their song 'King'.
The music is very much what I like from this sort of genre. It has a club vibe and a party feel so you get that feel goodness from it but the lyrics talk about a destructive relationship which kind of goes against the music. It's odd in that way but I quite like it. The music does just want to make you dance and have a good time with your friends.

The singer uses a lot of runs and trails which adds to the song and follows the music a lot which is quite quirky. Usually, I'm used to runs being used in big power ballads but this is quite unique. I think that Years & Years have found a gap which they fill really well. Getting the balance of songwriting and production just right, plus you can hear that he has a great voice behind him. One thing that normally irritates me about dance music is that it sounds completely different live but after looking at their live performance they do actually sound pretty similar which surprised me. I'll definitely be checking out more of their music.

Furthermore, I really like the music video for 'King' it's quirky and different with the use of contemporary dance. I like the use of showing clips with the dancers moving the singer but then clips of the singer being pushed into those shapes with the dancers invisible, it just makes it quirkier and I love things like that.

Check out Years & Years music video for 'King' below:

Are you a fan of Years & Years, leave a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment