Monday 2 February 2015

MUSIC: James Bay - Hold Back The River

I can't remember when I first heard of James Bay, but for some strange reason I never really listened to him at the time. It was only the other day that I was at work and I kept hearing this song being played and I became obsessed with it. After writing the lyrics down on a piece of POS signs to remind me to download the song when I got home, was it that I realised I was obsessing over James Bay's 'Hold Back the River'.
I can't get over how beautiful this song is. We all probably know now that my favourite music is that which sounds really authentic and without loads of production. Songs that will sound the same live as they do on the record and this is one of those songs. It just makes me want to see that artist even more live knowing that it'll pretty much be the same. Plus, I think it shows the artists talent off more as they aren't hiding behind anything like synthesized elements and I think James Bay is full of potential and talent. He also has that bluesy feel to his style that I love and his songwriting is just incredible.

I love how 'Hold Back the River' starts quite simple and low, it's just got a nice flow to it and it's quiet and understated. But then it builds throughout the song into a fast pace  and he plays around with his falsetto and a much more powerful gravelly sound with his voice exposing the grit in his tone. It's so simple and James Bay shows off everything that he can do that you can't help be blown away. There's so much power behind his voice towards the end of the song and you can hear the emotion which gives me shivers.

Despite being a serious song, it has an upbeat tempo to the chorus which makes you feel optimistic about the situation and makes you feel that everything will be alright for these two characters. 'Hold Back the River' is also incredibly catchy, I can't stop singing this song and I'm constantly listening to it at the moment. Everything about this song is right up my street and I can't wait for his album to be released because if it's anything like this single I'll be obsessed with it in no time.

Check out James Bay's music video for 'Hold Back the River' below:
Are you a fan of James Bay? What music are you loving at the moment? 


No comments:

Post a Comment