Monday 9 March 2015

MUSIC: Daniel Pearson - Mercury State

The other day, I was on Twitter when I noticed I had a new verified follower. It always surprises me when I get a verified follower, especially when they are singers and it makes me curious to find out more about them. The person who followed me the other day was Daniel Pearson after checking out his Spotify page I was pleasantly surprised.

'Mercury State' is a very relatable album for most people. Daniel Pearson comes from a working class background in Hull, and this shows through the lyrics within this album describing his struggles that have come from the recession. Guitar driven opening track of 'Factor Floor' describes this with Daniel Pearson's striking lyrics. I love the echo-y sound that the track features as he sings 'what more could you want from me' which gives the feeling of unity.

The first song that I played was 'I Still Believe' which is a slow song that is so beautiful, there's a long piano introduction which gave me the chills and then Daniel Pearson's silky voice comes into play, which makes it even more beautiful. It's a song that makes you think, and for me it's about cherishing every moment, regardless of what is happening in the world. 'There's still some power in the smallest of dreams', I love that lyric. It's a very hopeful song and very honest which I think is refreshing. 

Daniel Pearson also has a heavier rock and blues feel to his music in tracks 'Promises' and 'Hard Times'. I feel like he has subtle digs at the government in 'Promises' and talks about their broken promises which is quite gutsy in opinion. It's also different, as a lot of the music that I hear are more love songs, so this is quite a different approach in modern music to talk about the issues of day-to-day life rather than lost love. It's very much reminiscent to how music used to be. I like the lyrics of 'hope has disappeared, it won't be coming back' and the 'lies you tell by the money you make'. I love the feel and the sound of 'Hard Times' it has that heavier sound and gives the feeling of people fighting back and surviving regardless of the difficulties that the state has put them into.

As well as his different approach to telling stories about real life, and not romanticising life. I think that Daniel Pearson is a great lyricist. Quite a lot of his lyrics stick out to me, not only do they reflect life struggles but I feel like you can take those lyrics and turn them into motivation. Such as in 'Rat Race' when he sings 'it's a hard race to run when you're running with the rats/when you're running out of time', it kind of makes me want to pursue my own dreams more to prove everyone wrong. Also in 'Old Friends' which sees Pearson return to his country/folk vibes with the ending lyrics of 'whether it rains or pours' it's just a reminder that you've got people there who will stick with you through the hard times of your life and they're the ones who count.

I was impressed with Daniel Pearson's completely honest and open lyrics and singing about topics that we don't normally hear. He also shows his range and what he is capable of when he sings with just a guitar and sounds more folk, or then amps it up with a heavier guitar and more production work and then slows it down again with a beautiful song of just him and his piano like 'I Still Believe'. He's quite a unique artist and one to definitely one to watch.

Check out the lyric video of Daniel Pearson's 'I Still Believe' below:

Have you checked out Daniel Pearson yet? Who are you currently listening to?


No comments:

Post a Comment