Sunday 18 January 2015

MUSIC: Villafan - I Still Believe

Villafan is a new artist that has been bought to my attention recently after being contacted about his new EP 'I Still Believe' and honestly his music is right up my street so I have been incredibly eager in wanting to get my thoughts down for you. I've been so desperate that it's currently 23:47 and I never stay up this late working, but I figured I'd make an exception when good song writing needs discussing.
What I particularly love about Villafan's 'I Still Believe' EP is the lyrics. They seem to make you think about the bigger picture or about other people such as 'Changing the World' the lyrics are something like 'easier to remind yourself that if you look away that all your problems will fade away' and I really love that line. It is so easy to try and forget about your problems or let things slide but how does that play out in the long run? Furthermore, in 'You're Not Alone' the lyrics that caught my attention was 'someday maybe we'll be a little stronger, but till then maybe hold on a little tighter', this made me think about relationships and how if you're arguing a lot it's easier to walk away but by staying and discussing those issues and having a little faith it makes that relationship stronger. Finally in 'Let Go' I am obsessed with the lyrics in the chorus of 'can you let go of the fear that holds you back' it's something that I feel will resonate with a lot of people. I feel like his lyrics would encourage people to make little changes in their life which surprised me. I was thoroughly impressed with Villafan's song writing and how the lyrics hit me.

I also like the style of music that Villafan expresses on the EP. It has that blues sound that I really like and a hint of jazz, sometimes reminding me a little of Phillip Phillips 'Behind the Light' album which we all know I loved. I love how his music doesn't seem 'current' or 'oldschool' it simply sounds classic and like BBC Radio Merseyside said it's 'music without an expiry date'. His sound doesn't seem to age it just has that classic sound which I think is refreshing from music releases recently. Villafan has that soulful and romantic air to his music too which I loved, you can't help falling in love with his music, its that sound that will make you sway and want you to dance with you partner.

I checked out some of his other releases too when I was looking through his work and came across his signature song 'When We Try' and I was really impressed by his vocal abilities not only in this song but throughout his EP. I like how he has this soft sound to his voice, his falsetto is so smooth and gives me shivers but then his sound builds this power and shows raw emotion behind the words his singing. My favourite track was 'Let Go' I just think that those lyrics really hit home for me and I love how powerful his voice is towards the end of the song. I also love 'Believe', Villafan's voice is gorgeous on this track and sounds romantic, but the song also talks about chasing your dreams and encourages you to continue on your path.

You can listen to Villafan's 'I Still Believe' EP on his website. You can also download a free copy of his Acoustic EP which I've been listening to on repeat. You cannot beat some acoustic music.

Check out Villafan's Live Performance of 'Believe' below:

Have you heard of Villafan' before? Be sure to check out his EP's.


No comments:

Post a Comment