Wednesday 28 January 2015

LIFE: 'Let's Talk About Mental Health'

After seeing JacksGap post a video about mental health the other day, I felt myself really wanting to get involved. I'm glad that there are people out there at the moment that are really driving forward and attempting to get rid of the stigma that comes with mental health and get people talking. For me it really helped when I saw Demi Lovato come forward talking about her own experience with mental health. So here goes.
For as long as I can remember I've suffered from panic attacks, I don't know where they came from, how they started or why I suffer from them. All I know is that my body would feel frightened and go into fight or flight mode as it thinks it's in danger. I used to have panic attacks in social situations: at parties, when I was out for meals with friends or family, in queues. Anywhere public I could have a panic attack. I believe this is what lead me to have social anxiety. It was the fear of the unknown and the fear that if I was to go out with my friends that I would have a panic attack.

It was a long time before I actually got help for my social anxiety, in fact, I didn't even realise that I did have social anxiety for a while, I simply thought it was the panic attacks. But it was one day when I had been really looking forward to going out with my friends for a meal before we all went our separate ways to university, college or starting work and I felt this overwhelming feeling that I simply couldn't go with the belief that something truly dreadful was going to happen that I realised that I needed to get help. I hadn't been going out with friends for years, in fact, I used to make up so many excuses that they simply stopped inviting me. Who could blame them when I always said no?

I finally managed to get to the doctors and started a counselling treatment where the therapist helped me through what was the issues. It took a little time and it was hard having to put myself in situations that I had been so afraid of for a really long time. It's bad when you can't go to your local pub and order a jacket potato because you're so anxious you feel like you're going to throw up. Or when you're at a party and you don't dance because you think that all eyes are on you and people will laugh at your dancing. The social anxiety was causing me to panic and I had so many safety behaviours that it was only reinforcing my fear and belief that I would panic if I went out. After a couple of months of learning about social anxiety and panic disorder, and challenging myself I was finally discharged and I've never felt better. Sure I still get anxious but I try not to let it control what I do.  You can't allow your anxiety to control your life.

When I finally started talking to my friends about it, I was shocked by how many of them had said that they had also spoken to someone about their own issues. I had wanted to keep my therapy a secret as I was a little ashamed that I was 18 and in therapy. But I soon realised that there was nothing to ashamed of and that I wasn't alone in feeling the way I did.

I've seen friends and family battle through depression and it's not an easy journey. What works for one person might not work for someone else. It can be scary finally asking for help but once people know what's happening they can help you. Talking about mental health isn't anything to ashamed of. It's something that a lot of people (more than you probably realise) suffer from. You're not alone and things really do get better with the right treatment.

Check out the JacksGap video that inspired this confession below:
Leave your comments on the subject below, but please remember to be sensitive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment