Friday 9 May 2014

MUSIC: Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Now, it may surprise you, seeing as I'm from the UK and we notoriously perform terribly when it comes to the Eurovision Song Contest, but I am actually a massive fan. I'm that obsessed with Eurovision that I throw a party (basically me on my own with chocolate and ice cream) and all my friends know not to invite me out on that Saturday evening. Seeing as it's Eurovision tomorrow I thought I'd share my favourites with you.

Now if you haven't heard of Eurovision before, basically, it's where the whole of Europe get involved most sending in their own act to compete in the competition. Some get through automatically as they're 'The Big Five' this includes the UK, France, Italy, Spain and Germany and the previous years winner (also where the show will be held) also get through immediately, this year that is Denmark. This year the contest is held in Copenhagen.

Molly (United Kingdom) - Children of the Universe
Like I said I'm from the UK so if we're not supporting our own acts who will? Also, I actually think it's a good song this year. It's different from what we usually enter in the fact that's it's not incredibly cheesy or dull. I hope Molly does really well.

Softengine (Finland) - Something Better
This is my favourite entry this year. The guys are super cute, in my opinion too. The song really doesn't sound Eurovision-y to me at all. I can imagine these guys playing at Leeds/Reading festival and sounding absolutely amazing. I really hope that these guys do really well. 



The Common Linnets (The Netherlands) - Calm After the Storm
These are my second favourite. To me they very much have a The Civil Wars feel about them, and I'm a  huge fan of theirs so I would clearly like these. They don't sound quite so dark as them but I think and hope that this could be a little dark horse for the competition this year. It's quiet but brilliant.

Pollapönk (Iceland) - No Prejudice
This one has Eurovision written all over it, in the sense that it's fun and cheesy, but these are my favourites of this style. I love how happy the guys look. I love how they randomly break out into some strange dancing and I love the 'B-b-b-b-b-b' sections. You'll know what I mean when you listen to it. 


Conchita Wurst (Austria) - Rise Like a Phoenix
I don't think it's possible to do a Eurovision blog post this year without mentioning Conchita who has been a bookies favourite from the start. It's obvious why she's had a lot of attention and whilst I'm not a huge fan of the song, they sure can sing the crap out of it, so I wouldn't be upset if they win. 

Will you be watching Eurovision this weekend? Who do you want to win? 
Follow me on Bloglovin' for more posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment