Tuesday 20 May 2014

MUSIC: Sam Smith - Stay With Me

I was watching 'The Graham Norton Show' on Friday night (yes, I am 18 but I love Graham and I stay in Friday nights to watch the show, I've also been known to come home early from parties/night outs to watch the show, judge me) when Sam Smith appeared to sing his single 'Stay With Me'. Now, I'm the sort of person who usually hates the song when I hear it performed live for the first time particularly before I hear the studio version, for the simple reason a lot of the time they sound nothing alike. However, I heard this and immediately fell in love.
Sam clearly has an amazing voice and you can tell that there isn't any editing going off when you hear him live as he sounds identical. He has a great range and his voice sounds quite angelic at times. The song tells the story of a one night stand. You're probably thinking how can something like a one night stand sound beautiful, right? Well, somehow Sam pulls it off. This song goes deeper than just telling a story of a guy having a one night stand. Instead it portrays the emotion behind it and demonstrates the feelings of a lonely man, or at least that's what I got from listen to it on repeat.

It's a honest report, in my opinion, which is probably what makes it so beautiful because it's showing real feelings and emotions. When Sam sings 'Won't you stay with me' you can hear the almost pleading and pain  in his voice. My last post talked about simplicity and this is another one of those songs. So there's a few more instruments and a choir but there's still nothing to really hide behind. It's the type of song where you listen to the studio version and know that it will sound the same live, which is very rare.

This is the first song I've ever heard of Sam Smith's but I'm looking forward to the release of his album May 26th for the UK and June 17th for the US. I'm really enjoying listening to simple music that relies solely on natural instruments and not computerised dance beats at the moment.

Take a  listen to Sam Smith's 'Stay With Me'below:
Are you as excited as me for the release of his album?
Follow me on Bloglovin' for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment