Thursday 1 May 2014

MUSIC: The Cab - Lock Me Up EP

To say that I have not stopped listening to The Cab's latest EP 'Lock Me Up' since it was released on Tuesday is probably an understatement. I am literally obsessed with this release. Even the other day, I was walking down to my corner shop with my dad and two of my old teachers caught me dancing (awfully, I might add) to the album. But did I care? Hell no.
The opening track is the title track, 'Lock Me Up' to me it has an OneRepublic/Gavin DeGraw sound to it, which as huge fan of both, I obviously really like. However, the lyrics are completely different to the comparison. It's a little more edgier than the rest of the album with a combination of Rock/Pop/Punk and yet with a R'n'B twist (is that possible?) There is clearly a strong beat in this song, which makes it one of my favourite songs on the EP as it just makes me want to stomp around and dance.

'Moon' is more of a club song. It's a lot more dance than what I'm used to, but surprisingly I like it. There seems to be a lot of production on the song, but it doesn't sound forced like it's trying to make it into the charts. It's a cool song, and Alexander DeLeon (am I the only one who absolutely loves his name, by the way) voice ends up sounding gritty and yet almost Justin Timberlake sounding too. I can definitely imagine hearing this on a night out, and it would definitely get me up jumping about with my arms in the air.

The third track is 'Numbers' if you follow the guys on Instagram this is the song that caught my attention the most. The chorus is incredibly catchy and there is clearly Timberlake influences with DeLeon's voice in this track.Again, there is a lot of dance beats, but somewhere from the melody and his soothing voice this song takes me to a completely different place and makes me think about falling in love with that special someone all over again. To me, this song reminds me of that moment when you're falling in love and that they're the only person you want to be with. Again, I am absolutely obsessed with this song, I find it quite a sweet song when you listen to the lyrics.

'Stand Up' this is the anthem song, and for me every good EP/album has to have an anthem song. The strong heavier beat that we heard in 'Lock Me Up' is back. I like the song has it gives you the inspiration to get on and pursue your dreams and not let everyone else get you down. 'When they knock you down, down, down, kid,  you gotta stand up' if you ever are having a bad day or people are getting you down, these words will definitely run through my mind. It's also nice to hear Alexander DeLeon rapping which came as a bit of a surprise to me, when I saw the teaser on his Instagram I was more than shocked.

'These are the Lies' I am obsessed with this song. Its all about trying to move on from that person who hurt you and telling yourself all these things to convince yourself that you're okay but realising that you're just lying to yourself. The bridge  is possibly my favourite part of the entire album. This song connects the whole album together as it involves the dance and R'n'B sounds from 'Moon' and 'Numbers' with the edgier sound that's involved in 'Lock Me Up' and 'Stand Up'.

To me, it's obvious that the band has grown up a lot through the couple of years that they were absent. But they've come back stronger than ever, this album seems to have more direction and solid. DeLeon's voice has also grown and the grittier side of his voice is gorgeous to me and something that we hadn't really seen before. It's nice to see the guys release this EP as I personally think it could go a long way.

Check out the preview of their 'Lock Me Up' EP below:

Are you a fan of The Cab? Let me know what you're favourite track is below.
Follow me on Bloglovin' for more music reviews.


No comments:

Post a Comment