Tuesday 12 August 2014

MUSIC: Charlie Simpson - Long Road Home

So a few weeks ago, Charlie Simpson's latest album, 'Long Road Home', came into my life and my god, do I love it. One of my best friends recommended it to me, knowing already that I was a fan of his. Charlie Simpson was always my favourite in Busted, I liked how his voice is a little husky and gritty. Being a fan of Busted, I think we all knew that I would be listening to this album, but that being said, it's nothing like his previous material.
'Long Road Home' reminds me of something that you would hear in the 90's to begin with. It also reminds me of something you would hear in something like 'My Girl' (don't ask me why, but that's what came to mind when I first heard it). It's quite upbeat with a folk/rock sound to it. 'Comets' is one of my favourite songs on the album. I like the melody of the song, it's a little Mumford and Sons with the folk vibe. The song is rather optimistic and I like how the pace changes constantly through out the song. This is my favourite sort of music, the sort of folk music that crosses between all genres from pop, rock and country.

'Winter Hymns' is the sort of song that puts me in a reflective mood. 'I caught you once, but you let me down twice' is the most relatable lyric I've come across at the moment, for me. It's a bloody gorgeous song, Charlie's voice is very relaxing and soft. I like the layering that is used of his vocals instead of using backing singers, I think it has more of impact and sounds more personal. 'Emily' is a rather sweet song, it's almost like a lullaby, in my opinion. With this album, I think you see a lot of artistry from Charlie Simpson and it's easy to see that he is a talented song writer when it comes to his story telling. I think, with this album, he's pushed himself and shows off more vocal range and sounds, as well as developing a new sound for himself.

'Haunted' along with 'Comets' is my favourite song on the album. This is the one that I keep playing. I like the story of this song, for me, it tells the stories of relationships being built and not forgetting those memories that you've made. 'Fourteen years since I left this town, how can you love me when I'm not around?' this lyric really stands out for me. I don't know why but I just think it's a beautiful lyric and shows that real love cannot be forgotten whether that's from family, friends or a partner.

'Would You Love Me Any Less' when I just sit and listen to this song it makes me want to cry, and not many songs have that affect on me. I think this is probably one of the most beautiful songs on the album, it creates a lot of atmosphere and completely captivates you in the story that is being told. 'Ten More Days' is more upbeat, Simpson demonstrates alternative vocals and it shows well that he is such a diverse singer. He can really capture a slower and powerful song with the delicacy of his voice as well as achieving a more edgy rock sound with the grittiness, I think this song shows that well.

'Blood' I like the hook, that leads into the chorus. I like that he sings with a sort of an accent, as often when singing, people lose that. But his voice his very unique. I don't think I've heard someone sound like him, before. You can definitely tell when a Charlie Simpson song is playing. I also like the bridge in 'Blood' it sounds like something you would play in a Nursery or hum to a child and shows a softer side to Charlie. 'Still Young' as the title would suggest is definitely a song about holding on to your youth. I like the 'uh uh oh ohh' sounds in it (listen to it, you'll know the section). I think this shows how much Simpson has grown in recent years as an artist and it's definitely for the best.

'Forty Thieves' is a rather sad song in my opinion, there's a sort of haunting sound in the song that makes this track stand out from the rest. It has a very distinctive sound with a lot of atmosphere, I think this song portrays an incredibly vivid image and emotion. 'Another Year' is a much more laid back song. It's a good way to end the album and rounds up the album well. It paints the picture of where Charlie is at the moment.

This album is perfect if you're in a reflective mood because it will definitely make you think an awful lot. It's great for if you're on a train journey or bus journey where you can just get lost in the music and watch the world around you. I also, really enjoy listening to this  album when I'm walking, whether that's to work or if I just decide I want some fresh air. It helps me clear my head. You can tell that Charlie Simpson has grown and has created a new sound for himself. It's one of my favourite albums at the moment, and I know an awful lot of people have said exactly the same thing about this album. He's incredibly talented and I cannot wait to hear more or see him live.

Check out Charlie Simpson's music video for 'Haunted' below:

Have you heard Charlie Simpson's latest album yet? If so what's your favourite track?




No comments:

Post a Comment