Saturday 9 August 2014

MUSIC: Jesse McCartney In Technicolor

I have been a fan of Jesse McCartney's since I heard 'Beautiful Soul' but I didn't actually start listening to his music until about 2006. I was a little late, I will admit. I went out and bought his first album and fell in love with it. Since then I've been following Jesse McCartney through his music and always like to check out what he's releasing. He released 'In Technicolor' a couple of weeks ago now and I've been meaning to write this post but simply haven't found the time. But here it is.
'In Technicolor' shows McCartney focusing on a new sound for him. The first track 'In Technicolor Pt. 1' gives a nice overview of the sound that the album has. It's still focusing on the R'n'B and Soul sound that he's been going for in recent years. A little Justin Timberlake thrown into the mix, but the album also sounds quite old school too. I wasn't really expecting to like the album because as much as I love Jesse McCartney his last album didn't really appeal to me. But I'm liking the vibe of this album.

'Back Together' I've been listening to since it was released last summer. I love this song so much. In fact, it's probably one of my most played songs on my iPod. It's got a cool sound to it and it doesn't sound like 2013/2014 music, it's sort of reminds me of a modern take on big band/jazz (if that makes sense). Also, it sort of has a bit of Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake vibe to it. Last summer I didn't stop listening to 'Back Together' and I listen to it an awful lot still. It's just a cool sounding song. If you listen to it you will know what I mean.

'Young Love' is a new track. Jesse McCartney released his EP 'In Technicolor Pt I' back in January which saw some of the songs that's on the album and acted as a teaser. But 'Young Love' made it's first appearence on this album and it's probably my favourite on the album. I've been listening to it non stop. It has a cool beat to it and I love the sound of the guitar riffs. It's a perfect summer song and makes me want to call my best friend to pick me up and just go for a drive. For me, I have this vision of driving around LA with this song blasting out, it reminds me of 90210 though. It's fun and picks my mood right up. Jesse McCartney released the music video for 'Superbad' a couple of months ago now. I wasn't keen on the song when I watched the music video but actually listening to the song it's grown on me. It's still got that cool Hollywood vibe to it with some funky beats (yes, I did just use the word 'funky' but that word sums this album up perfectly).

'All About Us' I like the chorus a lot on this song. It sort of reminds me a little of Daf Punk. It's another dance song, it's not my favourite song on the album, but it's got some cool lyrics and the sound is spot on. You can definitely tell that Jesse McCartney has been working on his sound and what sort of artist/direction he wants to go with on this album. 'Checkmate' featured on the EP too and was one of my favourites. I like how it starts slow and puts me into a sort of reflective mood and then the chorus goes into a slightly more upbeat sound. This song sounds almost dream like and is probably the most different on the album in the fact that it's a lot softer. But I can guarantee you will be singing 'I'm calling checkmate on you baby' all day.

Next up is 'Punch Drunk Recreation' an odd name for a song? Yes, I would agree. We're back to the uptempo dance sound. This is the sort of music that I wish they played in local clubs (when I go) because it makes me want to dance and has a good vibe to it and a strong beat. 'Goodie Bag' I think this demonstrates McCartney's vocal off best in the dance songs. There's strong parts, low and high parts so it shows his range. I like how smooth this album sounds from the music to the vocals. 'In Technicolor Pt II' features parts from the opening but is also different. What you would probably expect the chorus to sound like is very different to what you get and it's a lot funkier (again) and stronger.

'Tie the Knot' is a fun song which tells the story of two people who finally decide to get married and being ready for marriage, changing their opinion on it. This is another favourite. I think it sounds amazing and is so catchy. It still has the same jazzy kind of sound to it but a little more pop than the rest. I think that if he releases this as a single it could do well, but that might be because its one of my favourites and I'm hoping. It's just fun and I promise you, you will get this song stuck in your head. I have been known to be singing this to my cat. Finally, 'The Other Guy' if there's one thing that Jesse McCartney can do, it is right a beautiful song. I don't think there is a single one of his slower more ballad type songs that I haven't completely fallen in love with. This isn't an exception. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, with just Jesse's vocals and piano. It's so simple and shows how talented he is as just a singer and composer. I have cried several times whilst listening to this song it moves me that much. I think it's a song that we can all relate to, maybe not necessarily having an affair but just being a person who falls for someone who is unavailable. If you're going to check out just one song out from 'In Technicolor' I would seriously recommend 'The Other Guy'.

It's full of surprises and very old school and funky (my new favourite word). It'll pick you up, make you want to dance and then break your heart. This album is very different to what I normally listen to and what you hear a lot of in today's charts but I think that's what makes it stands out.

Check out Jesse McCartney's music video for 'Superbad' below:


Also, check out the audio for 'The Other Guy' below:


Have you heard 'In Technicolor' what is your all time favourite Jesse McCartney song?




No comments:

Post a Comment