Monday 13 June 2016

MUSIC: Jonny Carroll - Leaving On The Light

I was introduced to Jonny Carroll's debut album 'Leaving On The Light' set to be released on the 17th June and after listening to a single song I couldn't wait to tell  you guys what I think. The US singer has created a wonderful folk album with pop hooks. The album is heart-breakingly beautiful. Written at the time when the artist was struggling with a broken engagement, you can hear in his songs the pain that he's suffered and how he's struggled.

The seven track album demonstrates Jonny Carroll opening up about his feelings whether that's at the beginning of a relationship with 'Sound of Falling' with lyrics like 'I was gone as soon as you saw it in my eyes, its the sound of falling in love' which is an incredibly romantic track. Or a slower and more tear provoking song like 'Words Unspoken' where he sings 'if you've give up hoping just let me believe'. 'February' is definitely my favourite slower track on the album, even though it's upsetting I feel like it's much more heart breaking than the rest as it's talking about the good times in their relationship and how that's now ended, 'just remember February was the best month of my life' and you realise how much pain the singer must be going through.

'Leaving on the Light' is also the name of the single from the album, this a little more upbeat in music than the rest of the album. With a more optimistic approach to lost love and not dealing with it and still wanting to stay loyal to his previous partner, 'throw away those numbers, like you through away our plans'. To me, the song is hoping that they will return with the lyrics, 'I'm staying sober and I'm leaving on the light'. But towards the end of the track it's almost as if they've come to terms with the end of the relationship, 'I'm staying sober and I'm calling it a night - wishing you goodbye'. This is probably my favourite track on the album as I just like the message of the track. The opening track, 'Painted Jars' is another upbeat track on the album with the music. In style its very typical of folk and country music with hand claps and the tone. However, again, the lyrics are still quite sad with lyrics like 'all the broken pieces on the ground'
.
'When I'm Alive' is very guitar driven, and demonstrates well, Jonny Carroll's tone. He uses a very deep and sultry tone with a lot of grit behind it before switching to a much softer and gentler tone. I really like this balance and it suits the song perfectly.

The final track is 'Joshua' and I think this is the perfect end to the album. It's incredibly powerful track, in my opinion, and written beautiful as well as sung wonderfully too. I love the lyric of 'we are puppets clinging to our strings' because I feel like that's how life can get you sometimes too'. I would recommend listening to Jonny Carroll's album, 'Leaving on the Light' when it's released on the 17th June. It's a powerful album, full of heartache and will leave you feel really emotionally if you're anything like me.

Check out Jonny Carroll's lyric video for 'Leaving on the Light' below:



No comments:

Post a Comment