Wednesday 13 April 2016

LIFE: Being a Gym Newbie

I've been considering joining the gym for around six months now and simply kept putting it down out of fear. I'm not particularly a sporty person and definitely not in good shape fitness wise, and it has been something I've wanted to change for a while. I've always started ab routines from YouTube and after a couple of weeks given up but this time I'm determined to use the gym and stick to it - if only because of the price of the gym membership. I'm not going to lie to you and say I'm going everyday because I haven't. But these last few weeks I've been getting into the gym more and trying different equipment I've also been changing what exercises I do depending on how I feel that day.

First off, nobody is staring at you at the gym. This was my biggest worry, I always get scared that people are watching me mess up or if I'm self conscious I automatically think that people are watching what I'm doing but in reality they aren't. My first time at the gym I did look around to see what everyone else was doing but I think that helps in learning how to do certain things correctly and also to gain some inspiration. You don't want to feel in a rut with your routines because it'll become boring. But I can reassure you, nobody is staring or watching you, they're more interested in themselves. 

Be comfortable in what you're wearing. There's nothing worse than not feeling good in what you're wearing and that does have an affect on you. I always tend to wear some leggings and a longer vest. I'm conscious of my leggings possibly being see through so I like to wear a longer top so that this isn't an issue. Also get some good trainers that are going to be suitable for the gym. I bought some Nike New Balance trainers from ASOS in the sale and they are really comfy and give me good support at the gym. 

I go to the gym with Scott, this is for two reasons. The selfish reason my gym is about an half an hour walk and I couldn't walk that far do a gym session and then walk home (that sounds really bad) so Scott is my set of wheels. Also, I don't have a clue what I'm doing there and I know I would lose motivation if I went on my own. I would suggest going with someone you're comfortable with or who knows what they're doing. If not gyms have personal trainers and the ones at my gym all seem really nice and willing to help you. Especially for your first couple of weeks I would suggest this whilst you get yourself into a routine and know how to use equipment properly/ get the form of positions right so you don't strain your muscles/  

Don't forget to take a bottle of water. I did this in my first gym session and I felt it immediately. It's nice to have that refresh after each set and in a weird way it helps to calm me down a little as well as cooling me down too. If you have asthma I would also recommend taking your ventolin with you. I suffered when I was younger and when I had this chest infection at the beginning of the year I was struggling with my breathing so this has been vital equipment for me. 

You will have to get used to seeing naked bodies at the gym. I'm a prude, I hate seeing people naked and I hate people seeing me naked so my first experience of this was a little strange, However, just stick your head in your locker and get out of their as quickly as possible if you're like me. 

Lastly. I would say don't get down on yourself. If you've not had as good a gym session, if you've had to move your weight setting down a little don't beat yourself up over it. Odds are you've had a busy day or your body is just telling you to chill out a little bit. You can always throw in an extra session or go harder the next time. 

That is my little bit of advice from the last few weeks of going to the gym. I'm hoping to get into it properly this month and try and work a little harder. Maybe I'll update yo with my progress throughout the year. If you're considering joining the gym I'd say go for it, most offer a free trial period and you can see what you like and what sort of things you want to do at the gym.




No comments:

Post a Comment