Monday 4 April 2016

MUSIC: Joy Oladokun - Shelter

After a half 5 start this morning, I've literally just got in from work which was followed by a coffee and shopping with my friend, and at twenty past 1 I've sat down to write this review on Joy Oladokun new single, 'Shelter', which has been taken from her upcoming debut album 'Carry' set to be released on the 29th April and I am completely blown away. With little enthusiasm for doing much, from the first note I heard of 'Shelter' I was caught up in her world and her music and couldn't wait to start tapping away at my keyboard to share this talented artist with you.


Starting with a piano and a background vocal, I was captured. Then Joy starts singing and the tone in her voice is smooth and gorgeous, there's no doubt in her ability of being able to take a song and command a room. Showing off her vocal range, Oladokun has one of those voices that make your day feel brighter, simply oozing talent with just her voice. Joy has a classic soulful voice, similar to Emeli Sande meets Tracy Chapman, with so much heart and honesty there it's nice to hear this voice taking on a whole new style of music.

The song is talking to her loved one about giving in and trusting her and promising not to hurt them like they've been hurt before. It's incredibly optimistic not only in lyrics but also the feel of the music, if it doesn't paint a smile instantly on your face then I'll be incredibly shocked. Describing the song, 'a song I wrote about learning how to receive love, and fighting to give it without reservation'.

She's taken elements from rock music with some of the beats within the song, but tells a story like you'd find in folk/country music with a soulful voice full of honesty, the blend of these three genres is what makes up Joy Oladokun sound. It works incredibly well, and I absolutely love it, with two of my favourite genres having this new link that I've never heard before creating a wonderful pop song. 'Shelter' is such a formidable song, in the way that it's been written, produced and sung, it's also very catchy which I love.

I'm completely in awe of Joy Oladokun and the amount of talent that this lady has, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of her album now, which she funded herself through a kickstarter campaign. I only wish good things for Joy and the album.

Check out Joy Oladokun's 'Shelter' below:





No comments:

Post a Comment